Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Most Anticipated HipHop Albums Of 2011 (were at the midway mark)




At the start of 2011 I remember saying that this will be a phenomenal year, and one of the best we've seen in a long time, for REAL Hip-Hop. 2011 has been a great year so far. These are exciting times. With dope releases coming from legends like Pharoahe Monch, Raekwon, Pete Rock, eLZhi and Talib Kweli; and a new breed of Big K.R.I.T., Kendrick Lamar, Co$$, Apollo Brown, Skyzoo and more elevating the game, this year has already seen its share of truly impressive projects.

The 2nd half of 2011 looks even more promising than the first. Instead of explaining, I'll let my my top 25 most-anticipated albums do that for me...



#1. Jay Electronica
Act II: Patents of Nobility (The Turn) [TBA]
Jay Electronica's long awaited Act II will finally be released in 2011, as Jay has recently announced the album is complete. It is, far and away, my most anticipated album of 2011. Jay Electronica is the enlightened man's MC, and lyrically, he is on a level that is all his own. Every verse I have ever heard from Jay is nothing short of outstanding, and I have lofty hopes of an Illmatic quality album.
"A thousand kisses to all of those who have supported me since Act I: Eternal Sunshine (The Pledge). I am grateful for your patience. I will not let any of you down." - Jay Electronica, Via Twitter on July 11th, 2011.


#2. Nas
Life Is Good [September]
Anything from the greatest rapper living is always near the top of my most-anticipated list. I'm especially excited for his 10th solo LP for several reasons: his recent guest features in 2011 with Common (Ghetto Dreams), Raekwon (Rich and Black), and Mobb Deep (Dog Shit) have been top notch; the first single from the LP, Nasty, was FANTASTIC; I absolutely loved his last two albums, 2008's Untitled (N.I.G.G.E.R.) and 2010's collaboration with Damian Marley, Distant Relatives, so the bar is high; and with all the amazing Hip-Hop coming out (as you'll see on this list), Nas knows he needs to drop a classic record. And he will.


#3. Blu and Exile
Untitled LP [TBA]
Exile and Blu have both confirmed that the album is recorded and to expect it before the end of 2011. Below The Heavens is one of my very favorite albums of all-time. There other frequent collaborations over the last few years (LoveLines, Maintain, Is This Your Life, etc.) have all been fantastic as well. These two can do no wrong. Like most Blu fans, I've been waiting for the follow-up album since 2007 and am expecting another phenomenal effort. Only Nas and Jay Electronica could keep this from the top spot.


#4. Hassaan Mackey and Apollo Brown
Daily Bread [Aug. 9th]
Daily Bread is the highly anticipated collaborative album with Hasaan Mackey and Apollo Brown. After The Left's Gas Mask (Apollo Brown and Journalist 103), easily my Album of the Year in 2010, Apollo Brown has proven himself to be one of the best producers in the game. His recent album with Boog Brown (Brown Study) also demonstrates his ability to craft his production perfectly to the emcee's he works with. Here is what he has to say about his co-collaborator on Daily Bread: "...Hassaan Mackey is one of the baddest emcees, period." I'm expecting this to be in my Top 5 albums at years end.


#5. Common
The Dreamer, The Believer [Nov. 23rd]
I'm excited to see one of my favorite emcees return to his roots after the very disappointing Universal Mind Control LP he released in 2008. The best news about his new album? It will be produced entirely by No I.D. Judging by the first leak, Ghetto Dreams featuring Nas, and the recent collaboration from the two,Summer Madness, it is going to be a wonderful ride from a Hip-Hop legend. From what we know so far, this looks like a pure Hip-Hop album from one of the best.


#6. Big K.R.I.T.
Live From The Underground [Sept. 27th]
Big K.R.I.T. is a phenom -- he is a deep and charismatic emcee; and a tremendously talented producer who works exclusively on his own beats. He has already released one of my favorite projects of the year with the March release of Return Of 4Eva. Like his phenomenal 2010 debut, K.R.I.T. Wuz Here, the album was a free release. Live From the Underground marks his first major label release and the first chance for fans to show their appreciation. The title track, which we caught a glimpse of previously, is an absolute gem. It's hard to see this album not meeting expectations and being among my favorites of 2011.


#7. The Roots
Untitled LP [November]
The Roots 2010 masterpiece, How I Got Over, is an instant classic. Black Thought is on my short-list of emcees in the discussion for G.O.A.T. The new album is taking an exciting direction; it will be The Roots "first full-fledged narrative album," according to ?uest Love. The album will also be heavy on orchestral music and hard beats. Considering their flawless discography, most recent efforts, and the conceptual nature of the album, this should be another contender for Album of the Year.


#8. Talib Kweli
Prisoner of Consciousness [Fall]
January's release of Gutter Rainbows saw an experimental side of Talib. He did not work with any of his usual collaborators, either producers or features. And it was still a dope album. I have much higher expectation for Prisoner of Consciousness. The title alone makes me think this is going to be a really deep album. Supposedly a few Black Star tracks with Mos Def that have been played live recently, but not released, are scheduled for this album. Hopefully Hi-Tek, Ski Beatz, Madlib and others will find their way onto the project. I'm really excited about this one.



#9. Madvillain
Untitled LP [TBA]
Word has been, from DOOM's camp and Madlib's, that 2011 is the year for the real Madvillainy 2. DOOM has been known to drop a lot of work in a short period of time, and he has been very busy, as you'll see further down on the list. The first collaboration between these two is a legendary underground album. It's been 8 long years since then. Whenever this drops, it's quite possibly an Album of the DECADE contender. This is on here as more as a "wishlist" item *fingers-crossed*. The odds of getting this album in 2011 are higher than ever before and I had to include it on this list.


#10. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
Untitled LP [TBA]
Representing my hometown of Seattle, Washington, the duo of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are set to release their debut album before the end of 2011. It is a perfect combination of the unique flow, sound and depth of Macklemore over the gorgeous and epic productions of Ryan Lewis. Their 2009 Vs. EP was one of my favorite projects of the year. The only sneak peak I've had a track off of the new album blew me away. I wouldn't be surprised if this album blows these two up.


#11. J. Cole
Cole World: A Sideline Story [Sept. 27th] / Untitled Mixtape [TBA]
Not only is the Roc Nation star's debut coming at the end of September, he also recently announced that he'll be dropping a full mixtape before it releases. Considering his last 3 album-esque tapes, I imagine this will be full of songs that didn't make the album (and I'm sure I'll wish some of them did!). So, in reality, we've got two J. Cole albums dropping in the next two and half months.


#12. J-Live
S.P.T.A. (Said Person of That Ability) [TBA]

J-Live is a lyricist's lyricist. He's also a DJ and producer. The man's wordplay and concepts are out-of-this world. S.P.T.A. (Said Person of That Ability) will be the English teacher turned emcee's 5th studio album. This is following up his 2010 release, the outstanding EP The Way That I Rhyme. The lead single for his new LP, No Time To Waste, produced by Diamond D, was dropped in January. The album was originally schedule for a late April release, and no news has come since. His website and bandcamp pages still have it listed as a 2011 release, so I'm waiting for news. 


#13. DOOMSTARKS (Ghostface Killah and DOOM)
Untitled Project [TBA]
DOOM fans rejoice. The mythical collaboration album with Ghostface Killah once titled Swifted & Changeable (the title is no more) is in fact, a reality. The first track has been leaked, out-of-the-blue, and DOOM has promised a full project "very soon". The majority of the project will be produced by DOOM himself, with Ghostface appearing on all but a few tracks. With the first track already seeing a Madlib remix, maybe some Madlib production on there as well? We can hope. This should be AWESOME.



#14. Raekwon
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...Pt. 3 [Fall]
The Chef has another album cookin' for 2011. He already dropped one great LP,Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang, in March of this year. His second effort will be the third part of the Cuban Linx trilogy. The first is a widely regarded Hip-Hop classic, 2009's long-awaited sequel was one of the years best efforts, and if he's using the Cuban Linx name, this should be another fantastic album.


#15. Andre 3000 / Big Boi
Untitled LP / Daddy Fat Sax: Soul Funk Crusader [TBA]
Both Andre and Big Boi have confirmed: their solos albums will drop in 2011. And in 2012 we'll be getting a new Outkast album. I may be one of the few people who did not like Big Boi's debut album, Sir Lucious Left Foot. However, I'm still looking forward to seeing what direction his next album takes. Three Stacks is one of the most skilled emcees of all-time. How much singing will he do? What will the vibe be? I could see myself loving or passing on either of these albums. Hopefully the former. But they are definitely high on my anticipation list.


#16. 9th Wonder
The Wonder Years [Sept. 27th]
9th Wonder's long delayed album will finally see release. Originally scheduled for 2008, this is not the same version as that one, says 9th. With features like Phonte, Big K.R.I.T, Murs, Talib Kweli, Erykah Badu, Kendrick Lamar, Warren G, Rapsody, Skyzoo, this is an exciting project. And I'm sure, with this being released under his name, the beats will be extra nice. One of the best producers in Hip-Hop, hands down.


#17. Freddie Gibbs
Cold Day In Hell [TBA]
Freddie Gibbs cold flow and charisma are undeniable; he is one of Hip-Hop's most talented new emcees and he's been on a tear since dropping his Str8 Killa No Filla mixtape in 2010. He's worked on features with Bun B, Blu, Cunninlynguists, Young Jeezy and more, as well as recently dropping a very dope EP with Statik Selektah behind the boards. Cold Day In Hell is set to feature production from Big K.R.I.T., The Alchemist, J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and more. This is another mixtape that's really a free album. Thank you, Internet.


#18. Phonte
Charity Starts At Home [Sept. 27th]
The Little Brother member's debut solo LP, with the majority of the production handled by 9th Wonder and crew. Thank god Phonte and 9th Wonder made-up. Phonte has to be one of the more underrated emcees in Hip-Hop today. This album may end up being phenomenal. I have always been a huge Little Brother fan, and Phonte clearly stood out as the elite emcee. I'm excited to hear his first full effort.


#19. Fashawn
The Ecology [TBA]
Fashawn is one the illest new cats out, and has been often (and understandably) compared to Nas for his complex yet smooth flow and deep lyrics. His debut album, Boy Meets World, is an underground classic that was entirely produced by Exile. Before and after he's released a slew of impressive mixtapes. The title for his sophomore album is the title of one of the standout tracks from his debut LP. There's been no word, but hopefully Exile will again handle the majority of the production.


#20. Ghostface Killah
Supreme Clientele 2 [Fall]
Wu-tang is for the Children. Another Wu-banga droppin' in 2011, Ghostface Killah is doing a follow-up to his critically acclaimed classic 2000 LP Supreme Clientele. Just by the fact that he is using the name, I already know this is going to be a banger. Apollo Kids was one of my favorite albums of 2010. As always, I'm sure we can expect an abundance of dope features, and no doubt, and abundance of The Chef.




#21. Pete Rock vs. DJ Premier [TBA]
Two of the greatest producers of all-time come together for a collaboration album. The premise: Each Legend will choose 6 emcees to do 6 songs. DJ Premier has revealed that he is enlisting Sheek Louch, The Beatnuts and GZA so far. Pete Rock has yet to say who he'll be working with, only that it'll be an awesome lineup. No word on a release date yet, and though both Pete and Premo have said its coming soon, expecting this one in 2011 may be just a little too optimistic (which is partly why it's lower on the list).



#22. Royce Da 5'9"
Success Is Certain [Aug. 9th]
Nickel Nine drops his first solo project following his new-found success off of his Eminem Bad Meets Evil collaboration; what should we expect next? I have my hopes for this album and my doubts. Royce has been killin' the mic lately, second to none. I'm sure I'll enjoy much of the album, but I'm guessing this one will end up with some radio pop filler in there as well. I'm glad to see him getting success and love, but I'm not sure that translates into a classic album under these circumstances. Regardless, the way Royce has been recently, this a must-hear album.


 #23. Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole
Untitled Project [TBA]
The super-talented New West Coast emcee, Kendrick Lamar, is teaming up for J. Cole for a full-length LP. According to J. Cole, they have 5 tracks complete so far. The one track I've heard, a live version, was very dope. These are two of my favorite new emcees, and a collaboration album is a dream come true. The only reason this is so low-down on this list: will we see it in 2011? That may need another dream to come true.


#24. Method Man
Crystal Meth [TBA]
This is another question mark for 2011. No word on a release date. But the word we do have from Method Man is that this album will be "classic material". Method Man is an iconic emcee with an iconic flow and presence. He's been droppin' great verses on guest spots with Ghostface, Raekwon and others over the last couple years. And he sounds excited about Crystal Meth. So am I.


#25. Jay-Z and Kanye West
Watch The Throne [Aug. 2nd]
I wasn't so excited about this project originally. Especially after "H.A.M." -- But reading some of the advance reviews and checking out the tracklist, I'll have to admit: I'm looking forward to giving it a listen. Kanye makes great beats. Jay still drops great rhymes when he wants to. I doubt I'll love the album as a whole, but I'm guessing there will be a few tracks in there that will be truly dope. It just barely makes this list.

2 comments:

  1. TBA MF DOOM & Masta Ace project will drop sometime before years end, who the f#*k said hiphop was dead

    ReplyDelete
  2. the alchemist,oh no, and roc marciano project name Greenberg EP drop today
    if you didn't know alchemist & Oh no did a project in 2010 call Gangrene check it out

    ReplyDelete